Charles Leclerc has established himself as the number one driver at Ferrari and the team is putting a lot of its faith in him to deliver race wins and titles once they have a more competitive package.
But, ex-F1 driver Mark Webber has warned that the young Monegasque could be looking to leave the Scuderia once the “honeymoon period” ends if they are unable to provide him with a Championship-winning car.
“I’m interested in him and the next few years [at Ferrari]. It’s the honeymoon period now, but we’re going to be sitting here in the next 24 months, three years possibly saying Charles Leclerc could be quite tired too [of Ferrari],” Webber said.
“It’s a big, big undertaking to drive for Ferrari and he could be the next one in the crosshairs,” he added.
Earlier this week, Leclerc revealed that he was intimidated by Sebastian Vettel when he first joined Ferrari in 2019, but he found the four-time F1 World Champion to be a “very normal” guy.
He also said he is happy with the progress he is making in Formula One.
Separately, after the Tuscan Grand Prix, Leclerc seemed frustrated by the Ferrari SF1000’s lack of pace around Mugello.
“We were just slow, there’s not much more to add to that,” he said in a post-race interview on Sunday.
“We didn’t have the pace, I did a good start, put myself I think in the best position possible, I had the two Mercedes that were going away so I had clear air, just struggling so much with the car.”
Enjoyed reading this article? Consider sharing it: