Former F1 driver Romain Grosjean has announced that he will compete in the IndyCar Championship in 2021 with Dale Coyne Racing.
However, the Frenchman, who previously admitted that he was scared of the idea of racing on ovals, will only compete in races that take place on street circuits or non-oval permanent race tracks.
He will therefore race in 13 of the 17 IndyCar races scheduled to take place this year.
On 19 January, Formula1News.co.uk exclusively reported that Grosjean will be racing in IndyCar in 2021 before competing in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) with Peugeot in 2022.
Announcing the move to IndyCar on Wednesday, Grosjean told the French edition of Motorsport.com that he is excited to hopefully race at the sharp end of the field once again.
“I am very excited about this opportunity to race in the United States in IndyCar,” Grosjean said.
“I had different options for the coming season and going IndyCar racing was really my favourite… although I’m not yet ready to race on the ovals!
“IndyCar offers a much more balanced grid than I expected. I’ve been used to it during my career so far. It will be exciting to fight for podiums and victories again,” the Frenchman added.
Grosjean’s F1 career was cut short after he suffered a horror crash on the opening lap of the Bahrain Grand Prix which prevented him from competing in the final two grand prix of 2020.
Specifically, he suffered burns to his hands and sustained a few other relatively minor injuries.
“My left hand is still healing, but I’m about to get back into a race car and start the next chapter of my career,” Grosjean added on Tuesday.