The Alpine F1 Team has announced that Fernando Alonso will not be a feature of the newly rebranded team’s 2021 car launch.
“We regret to confirm that Fernando Alonso will not be present for the media Q&A on this occasion,” Alpine said in a statement on Friday.
“The sanitary situation and corresponding regulations in place do not allow him to do any communications and marketing activities while he undertakes his critical season preparation.
“We will instead publish a Q&A with Fernando for media use and he will be available for media in Bahrain for official pre-season testing,” the team added.
The two-time World Champion suffered a jaw fracture after being hit by a car while cycling in Switzerland earlier this month, prompting fears that he might have to miss the opening rounds of the season.
However, he swiftly underwent corrective surgery and later said he is feeling “ok.”
Alpine subsequently said Alonso is highly likely to be fit for the season-opener in Bahrain.
“Following his cycling accident yesterday Fernando Alonso was kept under observation in hospital in Switzerland,” the Alpine F1 Team said in a statement.
“Medics discovered a fracture in his upper jaw and conducted a successful corrective operation. The attending medical team are satisfied with his progress.
“Fernando will remain under observation in hospital for a further 48 hours.
“Looking forward, after a few days of complete rest, he will be able to progressively resume training. We expect him be fully operational to undertake preparation for the season,” they added.
Alonso will partner Esteban Ocon at Alpine this upcoming season, and the team, which is still effectively Renault’s F1 works operation, will be hoping to have more success in its new era than it did under its previous moniker.