Double World Champion Fernando Alonso, who is set to make his F1 return with Alpine this upcoming season, has said he is feeling “ok” after having a cycling accident on Thursday which left him with a fractured jaw.
The Spaniard added that he is “looking forward” to the new season, which will see him compete in Formula One after a two-year hiatus.
Alonso was hit by a car while cycling in the outskirts of Lugano, Switzerland in the early afternoon.
“Following his cycling accident yesterday Fernando Alonso was kept under observation in hospital in Switzerland,” the Alpine F1 Team said in a statement earlier in the week.
“Medics discovered a fracture in his upper jaw and conducted a successful corrective operation. The attending medical team are satisfied with his progress.
“Fernando will remain under observation in hospital for a further 48 hours.
“Looking forward, after a few days of complete rest, he will be able to progressively resume training. We expect him be fully operational to undertake preparation for the season,” the French racing outfit added.
Local police confirmed that the accident occurred in the early afternoon as a driver was making a turn and failed to spot Alonso.
It was initially feared that Alonso might have to miss the opening few races of the season due to the injury, but the Alpine F1 Team have said they believe he will be fit to race in the season-opener in Bahrain in late March.