Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix at Bahrain after testing positive for coronavirus, the FIA said in a statement on Monday.
“The FIA, Formula 1 and Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PCR testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19,” read a statement from motorsport’s governing body,” the FIA said.
“In accordance with Covid-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared.
“The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event,” it added.
Mercedes has two active reserve drivers in ex-F1 racers Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez, but it should be stressed that Gutierrez no longer holds a Super Licence.
The Mercedes F1 Team have confirmed that Lewis Hamilton won’t race this weekend.
The Brackley-based outfit said he woke up on Monday with mild coronavirus symptoms and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.
“The Mercedes team regrets to announce that Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for Covid-19 and will be unable to take part in this weekend’s Sakhir GP,” Mercedes said in a statement.
“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme,” it added.
“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive.
“Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.”