Red Bull have decided to drop Alex Albon and will replace the young Thai driver with either Sergio Perez or Nico Hulkenberg, an informed source told Formula1News.co.uk on Monday.
“The team has decided that Albon isn’t up to the task and a stronger driver is needed next year, as Red Bull will be looking to mount a challenge against Mercedes for the Championship in 2021,” the source said.
Albon won’t be on the Formula One grid at all next year unless F2 driver Yuki Tsunoda fails to get a Super Licence, in which case Albon will replace Daniil Kvyat at Scuderia AlphaTauri, he added.
Kvyat’s fate has already been sealed, the source emphasised, in line with Helmut Marko’s comments following the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.
When asked if Kvyat’s strong drive at Imola, which saw him finish fourth, will help him retain his seat, Marko replied: “No [laughs], it was a good performance but it will not help him in the future or to position himself in the future.”
Pierre Gasly was previously thought to be in contention for a return to Red Bull, given his exceptional form at Scuderia AlphaTauri.
However, last week, it was confirmed that the Frenchman will be staying at the Italy-based team for the 2021 season.