One would certainly not blame those involved in the running of this year’s Belgian Grand Prix for being a little nervous in the build-up.
Last year was a disaster. Torrential rain had fallen onto the circuit over the course of race day and, while Formula 3 and the Porsche Supercup were able to run their races, Formula 1 was delayed.
The drivers headed out behind the Safety Car, but very quickly reported that there was too much standing water, too much aquaplaning, and not enough visibility.
The only excitement television viewers got came through some shenanigans in the pit lane and the garages, but the poor old fans in the grandstands were left to sit in the cold and wet, eating soggy chips and seeing no racing action.
In the end, two laps were completed behind the Safety Car, so enough distance had been covered to declare a race result.
The drivers walked away with half points, and the fans walked away thoroughly disappointed.
Due to the financial strains Spa is going through, no refunds were offered to the spectators, although they did at the very least hold a prize draw.
Rain threatened to disrupt the weekend this year, but there was minimal water on the track, and none during the race, which Max Verstappen won from 14th on the grid.
There was a small bit of chaos for fans leaving the circuit due to traffic but, apart from that, thankfully, this year was a success.
“Everyone was happy, from the spectators to Formula One Management and all stakeholders,” Promoter Vanessa Maes said.
“We received congratulations from [F1 CEO] Stefano Domenicali and while I am a rather reserved person, I think I can say we had a very good grand prix.
“According to some, it was one of the best, if not the best in years.
“I want to thank everyone involved because we wanted to show what we were capable of.”
Domenicali confirmed ahead of the race on Sunday that the Belgian Grand Prix will be sticking around for one more season, but it looks as though extending beyond 2023 will be increasingly tough in today’s climate.
“We will proceed step by step,” said Maes.
“The contract is confirmed for 2023, but we are also looking at the long term, it was very difficult to get this contract for 2023 because the places are expensive.
“But of the races that are at the end of their contract, we are the first to re-sign.”
Next year’s Belgian Grand Prix will be the 56th running of the event at Spa in the championship era.