The Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort takes place this weekend, marking what is set to be its final appearance on the Formula 1 calendar for the foreseeable future.
It is a remarkable endpoint for a race that required an extraordinary fight simply to exist, returning after a 36-year absence from the sport.
Managing Director Robert van Overdijk revealed that organisers faced a staggering 36 lawsuits both before and during the event’s revival period.
Despite persistent opposition from critics and a media landscape that frequently sided against the race, the circuit ultimately won every single legal case brought against it.
The most intense period of legal pressure came in late 2019, when renovations needed to begin in order for Zandvoort to secure the Grade 1 license required for an F1 race.
Just before the scheduled restart of construction, environmental and conservation groups filed two urgent legal actions, fuelled by concerns over nitrogen emissions and the habitats of the sand lizard and natterjack toad.
Both lawsuits were dismissed, and in the years that followed, dozens of additional cases were similarly resolved in favour of the circuit and its organisers.
Van Overdijk reflected on the battles and the public mood in comments made to respected Dutch outlet De Telegraaf, explaining the nature of the opposition his team faced throughout.
“The problem with cases like these is that the emotional card is always played,” he said, adding that roughly five percent of the Dutch population opposed the return and were the loudest voices against it.
Van Overdijk emphasised that Zandvoort had maintained the necessary rights and permits to operate since 1948, and that facts ultimately prevailed in court thanks to the work of the circuit’s legal team.
“We had complete trust, but every matter had to be decided in court,” he said. “Thankfully, facts eventually won over emotion, in large part thanks to our outstanding lawyers.”
Van Overdijk also made clear just how close the entire project came to collapse during those early legal challenges, underlining the fragility of the race’s return at that critical moment.
“Had we lost that early case and been prevented from starting the renovations, we wouldn’t be here,” he noted, reflecting on how decisive those initial court victories were.
The COVID-19 pandemic added further complication, ultimately postponing the race’s return by a year to 2021, though the legal groundwork had already been secured by that point.
Zandvoort went on to host several sell-out Dutch Grand Prix events, powered in large part by the passionate orange army of fans supporting home hero Max Verstappen.
Despite those packed grandstands, organisers have struggled to make the event financially viable, and Sunday’s race will now serve as its farewell from the calendar for now.
